Thursday 13 October 2011

Ceylon, a Journey Yet to Be Completed...

Months ago, I spotted the lovely Casey, from Casey's Elegant Musings, sporting her version of the Ceylon dress by Colette Patterns:
Though I am but a beginner, I knew I simply HAD to make this dress, or drive myself crazy in the process.  Unfortunately, I did drive myself crazy in the process, very much so in fact.  Why?  Oh, so many reasons, but the biggest: not properly putting an effort into the muslin (this was a big NO-NO!!!!).  I don't think I can overstate missing this step enough.  Despite the pattern being explicitly labelled 'Intermediate', and well knowing myself as a beginner, I went ahead with it anyway, cutting my pattern out (which I will now have to try to salvage with tracing paper) and, in the process, wasting the beautiful cherry red linen I purchased for the garment.

      As it stands now, my failed first attempt at Ceylon now sits practically hidden in my sewing room, waiting for resurrection.  Since then I have made concerted efforts to improve my sewing skills, making three skirts (one patternless!), and even taught myself to embroider!  Now, with more experiences at my machine, and physical results of my efforts (one of which I wore on a girls' day out with my daughter and mother-in-law), I feel better prepared to retackle Ceylon.  Conquer it I shall...hopefully.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment